This past Friday, Dominic had his first birthday! I can't believe time has flown by so fast, but I have enjoyed every minute of it. Last night I was reflecting on Dom's birth and the wonderful, yet difficult, experience it was. I remember Dominic coming out of the water (I gave birth in a birthing tub - best choice ever) and holding him for the first time. I kept saying, "You were so worth it! You were so worth it!". I find myself still thinking those exact words even after he pulls out all the stuff from the bathroom cupboards, eats the toilet paper, spits his food all over me, and wakes up multiple times in the night. I love my little boy and I feel incredibly blessed to have such a fun little individual in my family. Heavenly Father really knows what will bring us the most joy in this life - children.
Anyway, the bottom line is that I love being a mom, especially to this little boy.
For Dom's birthday celebration we decided to keep it simple and short. I made a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, and Tim used his artistic skills to decorated the top of the cake with Dom's name and age.
I made a personal mini-cake (more like a frosted mini-muffin) for Dominic to eat, which he ate all in one bite. Seriously, he ate his mini muffin like a chipper shredder machine eating a piece of wood.
After we sang, Dominic opened his gifts. We got him two books and five cloth diapers! He loves his new books, Corduroy and Mama, Do You Love Me? (the Alaskan version), and enjoys the cloth diapers (it gives him an excuse to come outside with me when I hang up the cloth diapers to dry on the line).
The birthday party was pretty short but very enjoyable and full of fun pictures! I am excited for the next year and adventures that await Dominic, Tim, and me.
Here are the photos. Enjoy!
Getting ready to sing, "Happy Birthday!" Oma, Opa, Uncle Sam, and Aunt Mariah all joined us for the celebration!
Singing the song - Dominic loved everyone singing to him!
Messy face after eating his mini muffin piece!
Notice his shirt isn't dirty?! This never happens when we eat normal food.
One of his favorite activities - playing out on the deck and watching the chickens. He made this face right after I told him that we were going to celebrate his birthday!
Before I end the post I just wanted to list the little things that Dom does at the age of one:
He nods and shakes his head. He enjoys more shaking his head vigorously than nodding.
He walks more than he crawls. He still needs help standing up, but he will walk over crawling in any situation.
He only has two bottom teeth with no signs of getting upper teeth.
He loves splashing in the water!
He cries when we have to go back inside (he loves the outdoors but is still hesitant about being on the grass).
He loves to laugh and play with the family members. He also loves having his Daddy come home from work!
He helps me cook dinner (meaning he plays with the kitchen tools and begs for me to hold him while I cook).
He does what we call "baby yoga." We find him in a position similar to "downward dog".
He still likes to click his tongue.
He loves reading stories with anyone, but especially with mom at bedtime.
When he walks he puts both hands behind his back like a teacher does when roaming the classroom.
He gives us some cheek kisses and lip kisses. We love receiving and he loves giving them.
He enjoys puttering around the house playing with random toys, pulling shoes off the shelf, and getting into Oma and Opa's room.
He laughs and smiles when Tim throws him up in the air.
Comments
Post a Comment